8 things you will learn whilst on maternity leave...

1) You will become really very passionately angry about parking spaces. 

Oh ok cool so your kids about 16. You definitely need that extra room *glares angrily, slowly shaking head*. 

And don't even get me started on people who park in parent and child without a kid full stop. Just. Don't. 

2) You will not go to bed without a kids tv show theme tune in your head on repeat. 

*ah finally, sweet sweet slumber I can't wait to get maybe 5 hours sleep tops...PAW PATROL PAW PATROL WE'LL BE THERE ON THE DOUBLE* 

3) Being a stay at home mum is expensive. In fact, I'm not sure who coined the term stay at home mum because when you've got a clingy, whinging 10 month old, the last thing you want is to be cooped up indoors; with piles of washing staring you in the face. Sometimes what you need is the bright, shiny, distracting lights of Tesco. And those trips often result in buying stuffed dinosaurs you were using to distract said 10 month old, because she's chewed the tag and dribbled on its face (yes, that happened). 

4) You will engage in hot debate about Peppa Pig with other parents. 

Why does everyone call Daddy Pig, Daddy Pig? He's not everyone's daddy? Why does Mrs Rabbit seem to hold every job in town? Why is she not called Mummy Rabbit? How does George put up with Peppa's shit every damn episode? Why do they all live on such steep hills? 

5) Now this is a bit of a weird one, but you end up on the floor a lot. At least, I do. If I go anywhere with Evie, I'll start on a chair and finish on the floor. Health visitor appointment? She finished up the paperwork cross legged on a snake rug. Meeting with my uni lecturer? We were all on the floor. I believe I actually lay down at one point. I can't explain why this happens, it just feels natural now. 

6) 7am is a lay in. You want to punch people who whinge about getting up for work at 8. I'd stand on Lego once a day for the rest of my life if it meant I got to sleep in until 8. 

7) You learn and can recognise the regulars at baby groups. The oversharer. The perpetually tired one. The one who looks far too put together for 9am on a Monday. The one who's constantly running after the speed crawler. The bragger. It goes on. 

8) You learn who your true friends are. The harsh truth is, friends show their true colours when you have a baby. And although they think they can just pop back into your life after a year and your child will magically like them as much as you do, it doesn't work that way. Kids have favourites. Namely those who are around often, and they feel safe with. But you also make new friends, and they're pretty damn great. 






1 comment

  1. I will only advice every other woman TRYING TO GET PREGNANT or have FALLOPIAN TUBE issues, PCOS and other infertility problem to do their research and don’t base your option only on anyone’s advise, I did and it resulted in waste of money and time. I Contact Dr Eka on ( dreka14demons@gmail.com)  because I have discover Dr Eka. long time ago and I would have been pregnant earlier if I follow my heart and buy the herbal Medication but I disregard it because of my doctor’s advice and I am annoyed at myself but at the same time I am happy that I made the wise decision by going back to Dr Eka, for his Herbal Medication. Now I am a strong believer of this Herbal herbs natural medicine. Thank You. Dr Eka for bringing this joy into my home am so happy at last am now a mother & am the happiest woman on earth thank god i came back to your Herbal Medication. I know so many marriages out there finding it difficult to conceive I will surely encourage them to have fate and contact Dr Eka & BUY his Herbal Medication.

    ReplyDelete